Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Football, the Wedding and, perhaps, a Succubus?

The students are back and this weekend promises to be an exercise in excess as we once again blur the lines between education and the social custom of stupidity as a rite of passage. WVU will trounce Marshall and thousands of people who had nothing to do with the outcome will scream "We are number one" and take it as a chance to do damage to other people's property, lives and freedoms.

Peri and Brian's wedding is bearing down. I am so looking forward to seeing them again, despite the tepid reception that I am most likely to receive. I sometimes mourn the fact that I never managed to teach her grace. Or perhaps, her seeing how I have been mistreated by people I have forgiven of their sins against me, she learned too well that scorpions are not to be given rides across the river. I wish she would set my penance and be done with it. Maybe I am asking too much.

Feeling a bit better today, my world is still a mess, and my heart is all over the map. I can see where the Faerie has definitely seized the high ground against my common sense, and either she is not wishing for something to happen between us, or is ignorant of the attraction I am feeling. The former is unlikely, as she has commented on it. More likely she is considering her next move.

That is to my benefit.

It is not without literary and historical precedent to recall that, in some mythologies, faeries and succubi fill the same spot.

Perhaps I am doomed.

The Faerie: The light in the grey

I watched you from the corner of my eye
your lips pursed in peckish pout
and you wasted the silver of emotion
on anger and fury
towards people and things
not worthy of your thought.
I ought to have said something
but there I times I wonder
who is the predator
and who plays the prey.
I am still measuring you.
Not just the fullness of your lips
or the curve of your hips
or how it would feel
to seal a moment
to steal a kiss
conceal the bliss
I can only imagine
while I wait for signs
of imps or angels.


William F. DeVault. all rights reserved.

Technorati Tags:

0 comments:

Copyright © William F. DeVault | All Rights Reserved