Thursday, August 24, 2006

The full interview

Before E.J. gets his shot, I figured I'd post the contents of a brief interview I told him he could excerpt for whatever devious purposes he needed to help promote the site and my works...

***

E.J.: Okay, let's talk about the songs.

WFDV: They aren't songs.

E.J.: There are words with music. I consider them songs.

WFDV: Then, your consideration is wrong. I put some music behind some poetry readings. Songs are sung. I don't sing.

E.J.: There's a moment or two on a few where that voice is not reading.

WFDV: (grin) You're hearing things. Get checked.

E.J.: Okay, those who wish to consider it all should check your MySpace niche for William F. DeVault and the Gods of Love. Let me know what you think. Are pieces like "Strange but Beautiful (The Faerie)" and "Joining the Machine" songs or just poetry readings with some music behind them?

WFDV: You'll lose, my friend.

E.J.: Let's talk about the non-songs, shall we?

WFDV: We shall.

E.J.: "Strange but Beautiful". Where did that come from...and who is "The Faerie"?

WFDV: To the point, you're learning. The Faerie is a muse, a "totem-muse" if you like, and you seem to be fond of that phrase. She's just this woman I know...

E.J.: The non-song, the poem, the choice of musics (which I presume you have control of as frontman for the band) all indicate an almost spiritual romanticism, a rebirth of the romantique, is it safe to say there is more dimension to this that many of your more recent works?

WFDV: More dimension? No. A more upbeat, positive and hopeful dimension? Yes. I'v spent my purgatorial bliss wallowing in pain, self-doubt and despair. Time to love again. Wounds are deep, but they heal. And, when we are not the architects of our own ruin, we need to get over the injuries and move on, lest we merely add to the psychic rape. I take my moments, every day, to wonder at the brutality of the human soul, I just don't have to live there.

E.J.: Uh. Yeah. And this piece is...?

WFDV: An earnest, reflective expression of an awakening affection and passion.

E.J.: Want to add anything to that?

WFDV: No. Move on.

E.J.: Of all these pieces, these non-songs you've put together since the launch of your podcast "From Out of the City", is there one or are there a few that truly stand out for you?

WFDV: Absolutely. I love "Strange but Beautiful". "Wordslinger" rips it. "Horizon" is wonderfully realized. I am very content with several others. I don't want to paint with one colour in one medium forever. And, truth be told, I like to colour outside the lines.

E.J.: So we should expect more?

WFDV: Much more. I am, to steal a title of an elder poem of mine "Bragi, awakening in his tomb". I'm not dead, yet. In the next few weeks and months, a whole new arsenal of works will emerge. My trip back to my beloved Los Angeles, next month, and the concurrent wedding of my daughter, Peri, will certainly have an impact on my emotions. Remember, it is on these very trips that I have met some of the most important people in my evolving pantheon. The future is nothing, if not exciting, inviting and a source of great wonder to me.

E.J.: Anything else to add? Want to plug a book or two?

WFDV: Nope. The books take care of themselves. I'm into nourishing their creator, now.

***

So there it is...this keeps him from editing and tidying it. Hope to talk to you all later. I am arranging for an interesting little contest for willing students this year, the first prize will be two complete sets of my works...one to the school library of the winner, the second will go to the actual winner. And a cash prize.

Stayed tuned for mor einformation.

0 comments:

Copyright © William F. DeVault | All Rights Reserved