Friday, July 20, 2007

When I was younger, so much younger than today

I heard from a friend a short bit ago, about a crumbled relationship. It was a sad sorry, full of bitter herbs and vinegar. Anger and regret.

And a part of me wanted to tell her to step back and look at it from his angle. I know that's the wrong thing to do if you want to keep a friend (I learned that the hard way) but it was my instinct.

I am often cited as saying about someone that another person is having problems with that they need to look at it from their angle. This invariably leads to someone getting mad at me for excusing another person's conduct.

But I am not excusing, I am explaining. A mad dog still has to be put down, but understanding how it got that way allows you to take much of the fear and anger out of you from the situation, which are far more damaging and damning than teeth and claws.

No one is perfect. Everyone has conflicts, internal and external. It is in accepting these and working to heal ourselves through understanding and forgiveness that we really evolve as people into who we need to be to deal with tomorrow.

I wish I knew this when I was a young man.

0 comments:

Copyright © William F. DeVault | All Rights Reserved