Tuesday, July 10, 2007

the voice

I slipped and used "the voice" on a female friend yesterday on the phone. This is my pillow talk reading voice, the seductive tones of Androne a/k/a "the actor", the voice my old editor, Jan Innes, banned me from using on the phone when she was on the line.

The friend said "What was that?"

I asked "What?"

She responded "That voice you used. I feel high."

I laughed. I had forgotten it, one of the old powers I laid aside a few years back. It doesn't work on everyone, but I have seen it wreak havoc with a woman's hormones when used for evil purposes.

Sigh. To think there are times I might actually wish to be evil, it would certainly make for a more interesting social life.

I promised her I would not use it on her again. There is nothing mystical about it, though. I just have the experience and pipes to pitch my voice at just the right range to make the hair on the back of a woman's neck stand up, if she is caught unawares.

I drop my voice low in tone and volume, smooth out the natural highs and speak softly and slowly, more in a purr than my usual chatter. I have seen it have remarkable impact under the right circumstances.

Maybe I should do an entire podcast in the voice. Maybe I should do all my podcasts in that voice. And my poetry readings.

I knew a woman who was so addicted to it she used to call up my office answering machine after hours for the thrill. When I found out about it I was flabbergasted and changed my message and the tone I used during it. Her obsession seemed a bit grotesque to me, like those women who send me nude pictures of themselves after reading the Panther Cycles.

Okay, well, those I appreciate.

Hmmm...bringing back the voice. Maybe.

0 comments:

Copyright © William F. DeVault | All Rights Reserved