Monday, December 31, 2007

one minute to midnight, New Year's Eve 2007

Where my beloved sleeps, it has been the New Year for several hours. Here, it is just moments away. I wanted to dedicate one last piece of this year to her, for making 2008 look so hopeful.

one minute to midnight, New Year's Eve 2007

I stand between two worlds, mine and yours.
Yours is distant and, although tempting,
there is an exempting hesitancy in my nature,
having been asked to cross that line before
and being disappointed by hollow words and wounds
uncured by failed amomancies in false prophets.

But I no longer belong in my world, for my spirit slips
and flickers in lambent adoration of you,
pulling its leash and begging me to let it away
to play and pray with you its altar and mistress.
And, with a word, dropped from as high as heavens allow,
you can cut the cord and free me to be yours.


William F. Devault. all rights reserved.

4 comments:

Ed Carson said...

I rarely comment on poetry because I am not good at expressing my feelings about feelings, so I'll just say that I loved this poem. I'll elaborate if (not when, because it's not really a matter of time) I can figure out how to.

William F. DeVault said...

Ed, thanks for the kind words. We'll invite you to the wedding.

SUSAN SONNEN said...

Wow! Absolutely beautiful. This is how love is meant to be...magical, enticing, complete! Perhaps if I had not be so negligent in keeping up with my friends, I would have figured this one out on my own! :) Please forgive me for being dormant...

William F. DeVault said...

It is okay, Susan, glad to have you on board and to get a sense of your approval, which i important to us both as friends of yours.

Copyright © William F. DeVault | All Rights Reserved