Thursday, December 20, 2007

Truth Inventory and the I am exercise

I am still working on the truth inventory. Who knows? Maybe it will turn into a book.

I am developing my own process for getting to the truth, one of the tools I am using is a variation on the classic "I am" psychological test.

The basis for that test was that you needed to identify who you are and what priority you assign to the labels you assign to yourself. You would make a list of ten statements starting with "I am..."

For instance, in my case, I might make a list that reads:

I am a father.
I am a human
I am a poet.
I am a Quaker.
I am a son.
I am a published author.
I am overweight.
I am twice divorced.
I am fairly self-aware.
I am a brother.

Then you go back and identify them by priority, either by assigning them a place 1-10, or just picking the top one or top three, etc. It's fairly simple and can be the basis for a lot of add-on exercises.

For the truth inventory, perhaps I need to make a list of "beliefs" that may need to be examined to see if they are true to the best of my knowledge. For the purposes of this exercise, all things I "know" become "beliefs", as no "truth" has yet been defined.

So, let's try it, live, right here and now.

I believe in the existence of God.
I believe I love my children.
I believe I exist as a corporeal and spiritual being.
I believe Global Warming is a danger to the world.
I believe I write pretty well, and at an absurdly prolific level, compared to most.
I believe everyone has some good in them, and some evil, it is environment and free will that determines the manifestation.
I believe I have been in love; not always wisely, but always with the best of intentions.
I believe I am, on the whole, happy, and with the ability to continue to be so.
I believe there is a difference between law and morality, and should be.
I believe I can change, if not the world, at least my world.

Wow. Some are going to be difficult to prove or disprove. But let's pick the top three, the three things I need to be true to be best anchored in this world.

Hmmmm.

I believe in the existence of God.
I believe I have been in love; not always wisely, but always with the best of intentions.
I believe I love my children.

Interesting choices. beliefs based upon the paradigm of love, as I believe it to be (God), and the manifestation of that love through me (lovers and children).

Now...are these truths? Are they beliefs? More likely the latter, as empirical evidence is tough on all three. Perhaps I need to get more construct on my "truths"...for instance.

I live on a planet generally referred to as "Earth".
I have been married to two different women, and divorced from both.
I have fathered three children.
I have authored books of poetry.

All of these four examples present hard evidence to back them up. That's a better starting point. Beliefs define how I look at things, but I need to be sure of what things there are and how they relate to me.

1 comments:

SUSAN SONNEN said...

I believe that I need to tackle this exercise myself.

Copyright © William F. DeVault | All Rights Reserved