Sunday, July 16, 2006

a "Passionate Craft" textbook

Yes, I know...I'm insane (just ask my daughter, she insists). But, it's a happy insane, and I am able to function in society and haven't killed anyone or joined the Republican Party, so I'm not really dangerous.

How insane? I'm evaluating another project. Yeah, I know...4-1/2 live books projects already set for the next year, and at least one more CD during that period. The podcast, the blog, the website, the real world and my aforementioned daughter's wedding. How am I possible?

God has a sense of humour.

But an old friend sent me a note the other day and advised me to reconsider a previously discarded project: A poetry textbook.

We had kicked this idea around a few years ago, the nickname for the project was "The Passionate Craft" and it would combine both a history of poetry and instruction in various schools and styles (yes, even the much-loathed haiku). I actually had started the project.

I'm not worried that my lack of academic standing will torpedo sales (one dilletante at an arts council meeting once tried to draw the line between what I write and the "academic poets" and I was quick to point out that the main difference seemed to be I didn't depend on a state and tuition subsidized university press system for my publications and don't write as a by-product of my job (to quote the immortal Prince: "You can be the side effect. I'd rather be the dope...") but rather as a primary function of existence.)

Will I do it? You know I will, eventually. I have some time available next year, and I think a good text on how to write poetry, as well as how to respect those who have written before (including a defense of eloquence, vocabulary and passion in writing) would do well, not only as a possible book for classrooms, but also for individuals, Lord knows I've had enough proteges to know there are people out there who want to learn.

1 comments:

Ms. Adams said...

That quote's from my favorite get-in-gear-it's-war song, "The Pope" by Prince. I'm most likely to listen to it when somebody's giving me a hard time. ;-)

N.

Copyright © William F. DeVault | All Rights Reserved