Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Battleflag by Lo-Fidelity All-Stars

I'm kidding, right? Nope. I like this piece for the primitive energy it imparts.

"Your construction smells of corruption"

And the lyrics are edgy, brutal, and slightly obscure (read: intimate to the writer). Obscurantism critics would attack them for being "inaccessible" just as comic book fans screamed in fear when Stan Lee brought comic books out of the dark ages by raising the vocabularly level required to read a comic book from that of a nine-year old to that of a college student (college student back then, prior to the democritization of the higher eduction system resulting in its dumbing down...I meet college students, college graduates, every day who lack three good brain cells to rub together).

"I manipulate to recreate this air to ground saga"

There is a martial violence implied here, a threat that takes the writer/performer and transforms his thoughts into napalm and nuclear bombs.

"Gotta launder my karma"

Who doesn't?

"I said hallelujah to the sixteen loyal fans..."

Wow, you have sixteen loyal fans? Probably anyone with any exposure in the media marketplace has at least that many...not fans, but loyal fans. Fans who will still be listening to you or reading you long after it is fashionable to do so...

In the immortal words of the great Any DiFranco - "God love 'em".

Anyway, I needed a physical pick-me-up today so I wound this one up and turned it loose on my brain....that's better...although I am still waiting for the day when on my radio I hear the deep, reassuring tones of Sam Elliott saying:

"Caffeine...it's what's for breakfast"...(This message brought to you by your local carbonated beverage bottler...who still isn't providing me with the Diet Coke with Splenda fix I need while waiting for Dr. Pepper to move to the less toxic levulose...so I'm stuck with Pepsi One)....

0 comments:

Copyright © William F. DeVault | All Rights Reserved