Monday, July 31, 2006

the media and killing in the name of God

I see we are now into "that" phase of our media coverage of the War in Iraq.

I read a piece in yesterday's paper about a Marine sniper who is credited with not less than 20 kills. He does his job well, and I don't doubt for a second that his targets were armed combatants. I would presume there are at least twenty armed men with bad intentions in Iraq at any given time.

But the media piece, which could have been written by any pro-war politician or military recruiter, made sure to include the soldier's rationale, being a Christian, for killing, citing God supporting David against Goliath (funny, he says he's a Christian, not Jewish, I wonder if anyone has explained to his what happened to the covenant about two thousand years ago...)

"It doesn't bother me. Obviously, me being a devout (his word, devout) Catholic, it's a conflict of interest (nice way to put it...a "conflict of interest"). Then again, God supported David when he killed Goliath, I believe God supports what we do and I've never killed anyone who wasn't carrying a weapon."

Nota bene: Jesus disarmed his disciples, even healing a soldier one of his followers had wounded.

I understand the pragmatic need for men such as this, just stop trying to make this a right, a good, a noble thing. It isn't. It is, to steal an old and much abused phrase, a necessary evil.

As a Christian, and a pacifist, I am disturbed the media is helping to raise the banner of "killing in God's name"...isn't that what the guys who hijacked the airplanes on September 11 thought they were doing? I agree the distinction that the people this one man kills are armed is real, but I thought killing was killing was killing was killing. The Right argued throughout the Sixties that "situational ethics" were garbage.

Now they employ them.

Killing a human being is still wrong.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

You go,man. A Canadian killed last week by "friendly fire" irks my ire. Triggers and stress are not friendly, and I suspect there's more to that story than being simply or accidentally being shot in the chest. We've known and had it confirmed long before 'Libby exposed', that reason for this war was pretextual and contrived. Yet we're still there, and with added insult, we're sending in more troops when withdrawal would honour us and truth, in a war that's unwinnable.

Copyright © William F. DeVault | All Rights Reserved