Tuesday, July 18, 2006

the eleventh anniversary of The Panther Cycles

Eleven years ago, this very day, I wrote a cycle of poems to a young woman who had emailed me her picture. I called to "The Panther Cycle" as she had spoken at length of the black speedo she wore while riding her bicycle every morning and her suggestion of using the totem of a lioness I had rejected, as I did not feel the vibe for "The Lioness Cycle".

Ninety two cycles, two books, a website, a marriage, two divorces, a half million in spousal and child support debts later...I am still proud, not so much of my conduct, but of this monument to passion, this "novel length poetic memoir".

The first book, 1997's "PanthEon" featured sixty hand-picked poems from the total work. The cover was a Patrick Nagel-influenced self-portrait of the Panther herself and the internal layout of the book was done by her, as well.

The second book, 2005's "The Compleat Panther Cycles" features all the cycles, complete with annotations and is, in the word of one critic, "the most ambitious book of poetry, ever". It is a monument. The cover and internal illustrations to this volume are not of her, but are manipulated photographs of New York model and avant garde musician Jillian Ann, whose look, I felt, captured the essence of the feral beauty I had projected on a woman.

I would like, I should like, to find someone to replace her in the mythology of my life, and no doubt shall, as there have been others I have loved more and have given more of themselves to my joy and work, she just happened into my sphere at the right moment (David Bowie once said that being successful at anything was mostly a function of being at the right place at the right time) for this outpouring of six hundred and forty-two poems.

I know the Panther, at last word, lives in Los Angeles, my city, where I shall be returning next year, with her husband and her daughter (there are those who find it necessary to their faith in the universe to keep me aware o the movements of the pieces on the board, even when I am not in the game). To be honest, I harbour no agenda or desire for a reunion...I think she is a part of my antiquity, not my future, and thus would prefer she retains her mystique and distance, but stranger and more unexpected things have happened in this life.

But, to those who have read and enjoyed the works, to she who was the catalyst (in a very real sense) of this supernova of poetry, and to all who have, are, and will be a part of this life, which I am most grateful for, happy 11th anniversary of the striking of a most brisant spark, a spark that, in many ways, was the opening shot of the digital renaissance.

0 comments:

Copyright © William F. DeVault | All Rights Reserved