Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Rev. Jerry Falwell has died

I see where Jerry Falwell has passed away. My condolences to his friends, family and admirers. It will be interesting to see what this does to those people who often mistook his political machinations for religious observance.

Will the loss of an undeniably popular voice of the "religious right" lead to a mid-source correction as second-tier pulpit politicians strive to succeed him? Only time will tell.

I do not think of him as a bad man, despite our differences on Christian fundamentals. I think he honestly and earnestly thought he was doing the right thing and was serving God as best he knew how (but the world is full of individuals and organizations that think they are doing right that I might quarrel with their methods or message).

Rest well, Reverend. I believe you will be remembered by those whose political and social views you influenced as a good and godly man. I did and will regard you as a man of God who meant well and served as he thought necessary. Which is more than I can say for most people.

And I'll stop telling my Jerry Falwell joke...

0 comments:

Copyright © William F. DeVault | All Rights Reserved