Wednesday, May 30, 2007

capturing the instant of epiphany

A few days ago, I was driving down the road when a phrase leapt out of the ether, kicked me repeatedly in the brain pan, and made a desperate move to exit the vehicle through an open vent.

Not being so easily evaded, I grabbed a pen from my sleeve cuff (yes, I wear my pens in my sleeve cuff...it is convenient and I always know how many pens I have on me) and scribbled it down on one of those stray sheets of paper I keep on my passenger seat. If a young woman occupies that seat she always runs the risk of having poetry written on her thighs. Ask a muse sometime. I have written classic works on all manner of body parts.

So I captured the thought and continued on my way. The memory faded. Then earlier today I was cleaning the mess up and ran across a two word phrase written on the back of a stray piece of paper. I immediately remembered how it go there.

But now, it is loose inside me. The reflection of my thoughts reinforces them, even traps them...and now the two word phrase is loose...whispering, shouting, screaming, barking, laughing itself at me around every corner of my labyrinthine soul.

"She shines".

I wonder what it means, and what will come of it.

0 comments:

Copyright © William F. DeVault | All Rights Reserved