Monday, May 28, 2007

A Memorial Day reflection by a pacifist

As a pacifist, I am from time to time called upon to explain myself. In a nation where the Bible and the flag have, in many eyes, blurred into a single monolithic "God and country" icon, often.

There is a difference between this world and the next. A clear and distinct difference. Certainly the actions we take in this world echo in the next. And those actions need be guided by principles.

Even as there are those who interpreted at one time the fact that Paul the Apostle, in his letter to the runaway slave Philemon encouraged him to return to his owners, that the Bible supported slavery, so are there are those who mistake, misinterpret, and even distort the guiding principles of our faith to more prgamatic ends.

"There were two reasons why I didn't want to go to war. My own experience told me it wasn't right, and the Bible was against it too...but Uncle Sam said he wanted me, and I had been brought up to believe in my country."

Those are the words of Sargeant Alvin york, the World War I Congressional Medal of Honor winner, who was pressured strongly to bring his squirrel hunting skills to bear as a sniper for the US Army in that conflict. He eventually did, and spent much of the rest of his life trying to explain the conflict within himself over his decision.

It is a tough decision to take anyother person's life. So tough that the modern military employs tested and true psychological conditioning methods as part of its training to try and take the morality and the realization of what is being done away from the conscience and consciousness of the recruit. I understand the practical reasons for this. I do not think a man or woman who enlists in the military is a killer or un-Christian, but I think they surrender a part of their soul, their humanity, in order to chose flag over cross.

I do believe that, if we are indeed labouring for the afterlife, and not the here and now world, that I could not reconcile the taking of another man's life, even one who had taken up arms against me or my country, without violating the will of my God. Given the choice between George S. Patton and Mohandas Gandhi, between Rambo and Jesus Christ, my path and obligation is clear.

I thank those who have given their lives out of love for their country, this Memorial Day, and respect their legacies and their sacrifices. But I do not, will not, and cannot blaspheme by placing country on the same level of priority or motivation as the will of God.

Our Children Lie at Arlington

grey stone for colours, washed by rain,
to cleanse away a questioned stain
of politician's mad refrain.
our children lie in Arlington.

slain by foe or friendly fire
when serving out Homeland's desire
that they may future truths inspire.
our children lie at Arlington.

martyrs to both right and might
in dawn's first light and darkest night
they did not question leader's fight.
our children lie at Arlington


William F. DeVault. all rights reserved.

0 comments:

Copyright © William F. DeVault | All Rights Reserved