Wednesday, October 10, 2007

the virtue of proximity

We humans are an interesting lot; part dreamer, part realist. When someone starts pulling away you feel the change of tidal forces, if you know what to look for (as one friend recently said "You know the flavour of silence").

At a great enough barrier of time and space, the gravitation effect of Jupiter, or even the sun, is less than that of a brick (one of the reasons I am so bemused by astrology), as Carl Sagan so well said it, the obstetrician at your birth had more gravitational effect than all the planets in the heavens.

So, again, I find myself losing a muse's heart to one more advantageously located. I will mourn, in my own subtle and unsubtle ways, but I cannot curse or condemn her or even be angry at the reality, that is a waste of emotion (I get angry at deceit, not truth, and she was honest with me...no coward she). At sufficient range there is nothing I can do to compete with the attraction of a nearby body, and I trust the wisdom and soul of her to choose well and place the trust of her heart well.

Anyway, (shaking off the sting) I have much to do today and much to announce, once all is in readiness. My labours are unceasing, even as the lame god still pounded his forge when Aphrodite was abroad in the world.

The temple stands, even in the absence of the goddess.

0 comments:

Copyright © William F. DeVault | All Rights Reserved