Friday, October 05, 2007

chasing the tale

There are those irritating moments when I wonder, having seen the patronizing way people talk to mentally handicapped people, if I am backwards and just no one has told me.  I wonder if I am being patronized by anyone and everyone who compliments my intellect, my writing or my insight.

Those are strange moments, but I think the time that I have spent, outside of a healthy and nurturing relationship, does warp my perception.  I feel the edges fray...slowly, as I have some conscious and preconscious control, but the erosion is there, like wet sandstone slowly crumbling back into the sea.

I am certain I am intelligent and talented, but what if I am just impaired so that I don't see the reality and people take pity on me and tell me I am smart and gifted because its the charitable thing to do.

Ah, the world of sentience and doubt.

2 comments:

candy said...

allowing vulnerabilities to surface is a sign of courage. it's also the mark of authenticity, a rare pleasure to happen upon :)

William F. DeVault said...

The unexamined life is not worth living, I have heard said. It is a rare pleasure to find those who make the examination essential, as worthy souls drive us to find what is best in our selves, and no real evaluation can be made without self-criticism and doubt.

I once said that an honest man cannot be the hero of his own memoir. I stand by that.

Copyright © William F. DeVault | All Rights Reserved