Thursday, September 13, 2007

Track breakdown on the CD

As we crank up the PR machine on the new CDs (and I want everyone to say something nice about the cover, posted a few entries below...if enough of you say nice things maybe we can get the model to submit to an interview) I thought I'd say a few words about the tracks, to sort of set the frame.

Enchante.
This is a strange one, very much a song rather than a poem with musical accompaniment. Written to the lady, I knew when we first recorded it that it would stand out.

the taste.
When I mentioned this piece the first time to a muse, she laughed and said it was probably something obscene (judging from the title). Actually, it is based on my poem "the taste of remembrance" which is decidedly not erotic, but about memories of someone you love becoming synonymous with the very concept of memory.

Centaur.
I recorded this piece several months ago and then it just plain never made it onto the previous CDs, which is a shame, because it has a very nice flow to it. It crossbreeds several of my favourite themes to become a plea for a constant love and an admission of a need for companionship.

Slitoris.
Okay, I can be a sick and deranged soul when the spirit is upon me. This very arch work dovetails nicely with "Cut Me" and has to deal, as does that piece, with a darker element in my sexuality.

Cut Me
See "slitoris" above. The music behind this piece plays out like something from an old gothic horror movie.

Rivers of Resurrection
A melange of several works, very ethereal, very magical.

sleep
There's a comfort and a menace to this work, I still find it a little creepy. See if you agree when you hear it.

I want the fire
You can hear on this one where my voice wasn't sure if I needed to just read it, or sing. I compromised and the resultant timbre of my voice seems to be communicating a puzzled urgency, a certain resolve in the face of a lost path.

Bright and Deadly
My, we are dark on this CD, aren't we. Monster guitar and some no-nonsense vocals seek a truce.

Mantichore
Originally this was an instrumental (unique to my CDs)...but during a listening session, the words came and the words cannot be refused.

Wailing Wall
I don't know what happened here to make this what it is. It's like when the microphone came on the Robert Plant within me made a run for it.

Horizon
I like this. Very gentle, very fluid.

Skyscraper Ambition
Okay, let me explain this one. There's this woman. She's very tall...

32fps2
This may very well end up being the last piece on the CD, because of the way it ends, both structurally and thematically.

Golden Apples
Se "Skyscraper Ambition", above.

Burning in this chosen sphere
In the beginning was the word, and the word was hot. Or, as the lady herself says, "strong". There is a masculinity to the sexuality in this piece that seemed like a great balance of lust and dreams.

So that's my meander on the tracks...I hope you enjoy "Amomancer: nightblooming" when it comes out on the 24th.

Some people have asked me the hidden meaning in the name...well, there's this flower that blooms at night and I would lay awake in Venice Beach and inhale the beauty. Flash forward a few years and there's this woman that blooms at night...

0 comments:

Copyright © William F. DeVault | All Rights Reserved