Sunday, April 15, 2007

immortality

I am right now working on my podcast for this, the third weekend in National Poetry Month 2007. It will be a curious entry into a rather unexpectedly broad series of my pods, which I have now been doing for almost a year and a half.

The basis is my poem "I Should Have Been Immortal", which I read 5 times in the course of the program, each time trying to bring a different interpretation to that poem, aided by technology and music as well as my own (limited) skills in oral interpretation.

I have never liked the sound of my own voice. Time and experience has earned my tolerance to it, and once in a while I produce a reading or song that I actually approve of. But I am and will always be my own harshest critic. I find it funny when the rare editor or critic lashes out at me for some sin or other, presuming I am an arrogant ass...they either don't read much of my work or have a kneejerk reaction to something I have said or written.

I stand by my own quote that "an honest man cannot be the hero of his memoir".

I would like to say, briefly and with earnest heart, a farewell to Kurt Vonnegut. I am not here to beat the drum or rend my garments. The author had a long and distinguished career and wrote some of the most remarkable prose of the 20th century. In a publishing word full of authors the equivalent of off-key, prefabricated boy bands, it was nice to find a true literary genius who received worthy acclaim in his life. He will be missed, but with glad heart and due respect.

He IS immortal.

0 comments:

Copyright © William F. DeVault | All Rights Reserved