Saturday, November 10, 2007

musical medicine bag

Okay, I am a junkie.

Musically.

I keep a long list of songs in my iTunes, and when I need to manipulate my moods, I select that which is necessary ("It's impossible for words to describe what is necessary," asks Colonel Kurtz...) and use it to pull myself, sometimes violently, into the mental state I want to be in. Thank God my eyes are going before my hearing.

This morning I slipped on the headphone and brought up iTunes...scanning for what I needed, what I wanted. And there, down a ways in the list, was the right drug, the right alchemy for my mind's veins" "A Mighty Love" by The Spinners.

Within minutes it was like I had been given ECT (something I was once offered under circumstances too bizarre to adequately explain. Again, thank you, Larry) and was jolted out of a valley. That song, I am certain, effects normal people the same way, so uplifting, visionary and powerful.

Forgive me if there are typos this morning...the cat has taken this occasion to decide to demand attention by walking back and forth across the keyboard.

Anyway, I love The Spinners (I have even forgiven them for "Rubber Band Man") and find that there are three or four of their songs in my musical medicine bag. Thanks guys.

Now, back to work.

0 comments:

Copyright © William F. DeVault | All Rights Reserved