Saturday, March 15, 2008

Poetry Out Loud over and out

The results are in at the WV Finals of Poetry Out Loud...and I know them (having been one of the three judges, I got to shape them!)...

First off, let me say that all the contestants were worthy. It takes guts to get up and recite long, complex word puzzles while your friends, family and competitors stare at you with blank, unblinking eyes, silently praying for you to humiliate yourself.

The winner was:

Carolyn Rose Garcia of Notre Dame High School in Harrison County, who edged the competition in the finals owing to her incredible performance of "Shirt" by Robert Pinsky.

The runner-up was Jasmine Lewis of Spring Valley High School in Wayne County who gave a powerful recitation of "Still I Rise" by Maya Angelou.

I have to give two special unofficial awards out of my own.

The first is to Elizabeth Falstreau of George Washington High School in Kanawha County who wow-ed the judges with her poise and presence, particularly in her finals delivery of "Walking Down Park" by Nikki Giovanni.

The second is to Emma Dalen, whose charming delivery of Shel Silverstein's "Sick" got her into the finals.

Congratulations to one and all, although I should point out that most of you failed to approach me to sign your gift copies of my book at the reception!

0 comments:

Copyright © William F. DeVault | All Rights Reserved